The year in review...
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
I started running.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Gail to Roselyn in March and Erica in July to Lizzie. Most people seemed to sprog in the previous two years and are expecting again next summer.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. My Auntie Rose died but we weren't close. A close friend had a miscarriage which is sad but she's trying again now.
5. What countries did you visit?
We stayed in the UK. Partly because my passport ran out in the middle of the year.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A better handle on financial project management.
7. What date(s) from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Nothing really significant happened in 2008; Easter Saturday and paddling the Henley Straight with a mammoth head wind with waves breaking over the back cockpit of the boat was pretty unforgettable.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Winning the ladies K2 endurance record for the DW with Jess. Also getting most of the canoe club to the hasler finals in September, appropriately qualified with the right number of boats, paddles and race vests. Being promoted to principal at work and div 7 in marathon.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Staring on the veg patch too late without succession sowing and losing all of the cabbages. And a couple of wobbly projects at work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Couple of colds which managed to stop Jess and me entering the Royal (which is a fantastic race) in February, stopped me entering my first 10k road race with Kirsty in December and delayed Christmas by 48 hours.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A second hand cougar for £35. It needs some work before its paddleable though.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
America. For not electing the scariest woman in the world, ever.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Sarah Palin. The banks and the government for screwing up the economy and not taking any responsibility.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Savings. Habit from when Andy gave up work and we had NO disposable income forecast.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The olympics. First time I've been interested.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Summetime... a brilliant session at the Eels Foot in Eastbridge which I hadn't been to for over 18 years.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? about the same. Pretty content really.
ii. thinner or fatter? half a stone lighter and a very different shape - I now own - and fit - a size 8 skirt.
iii. richer or poorer? richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Gardening. Played more music. Gone dancing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Less time wasted on the internet would allow me to do more music/paddling/gardening.
20. How will/did you spend New Year?
With good friends.
21. Which LJ users did you meet for the first time?
Met a couple of people who comment on my blog - Tracey and Liz from BCCC.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Nope. Did that a decade ago and I don't see it changing.
23. Did you make any new friends?
Lots of paddlers.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Enjoyed survivors and finally discovered spooks, 7 series in...
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone. But there are several people who wind me up more than they did this time last year.
26. What was the best book you read?
Red lots but the one I learned must from was a book on endurance training which I've subsequently lent to a friend.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That Richard Thompson sucks in big venues (I fell asleep) but Kerfuffle are pretty good.
28. What did you want and get?
Thinner thighs. Better fitness.
29. What did you want and not get?
World peace. A carbon kevlar k1.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Saw the new Narnia film... did the latest Harry Potter come out in 2008 - or was that the previous year?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Usually we're on holiday for my birthday but I think this year I went to work and came home again. Birthdays aren't really a big deal.
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008.
Again... paddling kit but my best clothing buy of this year was a thermal rash vest from decathlon. But buying a size 8 skirt was pretty neat!
34. What kept you sane?
Andy, paddling and The Cat.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I'm far too rational to fancy celebrities and public figures. I tend to only fancy real people. Like my husband.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
Lots of friends particularly those in Scotland who I haven't spoken to for several years.
38. Did you go anywhere new?
Went to Wells, Abergavenny, and lots of new bits of river and canal to race on.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Working hard does not guarantee success. There are some things where you do actually need to ask for help, or share the responsibility and it makes things much easier.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.